Friday, September 20, 2013

Cladisticules

(September 20, 2013) I began my internship today!!! This year I am very lucky to be able to do intern on campus, which cut off all the travelling time:) Dr. Miller, who is my mentor, currently works in UCSD as a part of the CIPRES project (http://www.phylo.org/). He has been developing software and information technologies to assist biomedical research and now works with a supercomputer located in San Diego Supercomputer Center that maintains a database for phylogeneticic tree inference.

Last year, I wrote down for one of the reasons to apply for internship was to "widen my horizon," and here is the opportunity! All of my past experiences have more to do with molecular biology, such as growing cells and running PCRs in a lab. However, this year I get to learn biology in an evolutionary perspective. Dr. Miller raised a good point that studying phylogenetic trees is very critical for it allows us to take a step back and look at the organisms in the most fundamental view, to see a bigger picture of the biological world. I also learned many applications of phylogenetic trees, including predicting the properties of new pathogens, fighting against diseases that destroy food sources, and maintaining biodiversity. Nonetheless, I actually had had some experiences with some database such as BLAST and CLUSTAL before, which would help me through this course.
Different trees have different patterns, which I think are pretty impressive and very beautiful.
http://explorebio.wikispaces.com/The+Art+of+Phylogeny

After the introduction, we began a short exercise - to establish a simple cladogram.

  1. There are 8 different species. We described each using different characters. The variants within a character is called character states. For example, the color of the abdomen is a character where as white / black abdomen are the character states.
  2. Then we made a data matrix, with 0 meaning primary states and 1 being the developed states.
  3. Based on the matrix, we constructed a Venn diagram.
  4. Finally, we drew a cladogram based on the Venn diagram.
This exercise was actually really tricky because black abdomen rise up in two different places, which is called a homoplastic character. Although I had some basic background from AP Biology, this exercise was harder than expected. Luckily, we now have technologies that help us do this (which is what I will be learning!), and this was just to give me a taste of how long scientists used to spend on sorting out the evolutionary tree.

I definitely learned a lot, including many vocabs, during today's meeting. While Dr. Miller won't be here next week, he gave me a book Phylogenetic Trees Made Easy: A How-To Manual to read. My assignment is to learn to establish a phylogenetic trees on MEGA. Today was a great start and I am ready to explore the beauty of a phylogenetic tree!


Here is the link for the video Dr. Miller showed me during the introduction, and I thought it was pretty cool and well explained: http://archive.peabody.yale.edu/exhibits/treeoflife/film_discovering.html

7 comments:

  1. Peggy,
    I have really enjoyed reading your post. Your project sounds fabulous. I'm wondering if you'd be willing to share/help this year's APBio class when it comes time to make cladograms and use the BLAST database? Something for you to think about :)
    Ms.Maier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course Ms. Maier! I would love to! Just email me if you get to those chapters:) Some of these BLAST stuff actually make much more sense now! Also, thanks for visiting my blog and I am really glad that you enjoy it:) My work would certainly become more interesting, and I hope you can come back and visit again:)

      Delete
  2. Peggy, you blog post is exceptional. It reads more like a lab report than a weekly update. I love the detail and examples that you include, and the amazing video! I plan to use the movie in my own classes. Keep up the stellar effort, and I look forward to what you discover in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post inspired me to purchase a circular tree of life for my classroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea! I am so honored! I really think circular phylogenetic trees are very beautiful as each of them shows unique pattern. I shall visit your classroom soon!:)

      Delete
    2. I'll let you know when it arrives!

      Delete
  4. this article is great it will help me cheat with my assignment!!
    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete